An explainer video is a short online video used to describe an organization’s services or products. A great placement for these videos is on the homepage of your organization’s website to introduce viewers to the importance of its mission. Explainer videos are an effective storytelling tool because it illustrates stories that are easy to remember. This article explains that as humans, we think in we think in narrative structures, and the development of both thought and language follow the patterns of storytelling.
So what are the components of a great explainer video? Here are some strategies, followed by award winning examples to consider.
- Keep the script short. Wistia reported that for a video of 4-5 minutes, fewer than 60% of your viewers view compared to 75% for a 1-2 minute video.
- The beginning story sets up the challenge or need that your organization is solving.
- The middle identifies solutions that your services provide to the challenge or need, along with the benefits (not features) of these solutions.
- The end is a call to action to engage the viewer.
- If using data animate the infographics to coincide with the voiceover.
- Sound effects and background music provide the depth and texture to the final product.
School of Career Education – Why We Love our Mission
Foothill Workforce Development Board – Organizational Video (Davey Award Winner)
Wireless U – Wireless Job Opportunities